We were headed north to have dinner with friends and his birthday was coming up the folowing week so I decided I'd make him some cupcakes. His wife said his favorite dessert is Banana Cream Pie. I am not a pie baker.. never had very good luck with anything other than pumpkin or apple so I searched for a banana cream pie cupcake recipe. I made a few tweaks to it and they came out quite good.
filling the cupcake liners
I use an apple corer to make the hole for filling
In the end I decided not to put bananas on top and crumbled graham cracker on top. We traveled an hour with the cupcakes & I was afraid the bananas would turn brown and look gross. When we handed the box to John, he started to tip & shake it..so a few got smooshed.
They were really good and went great with our McDonald's soft-serve hot fudge sundae's.
Happy Birthday John!
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 1 Tbsp. baking soda
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup packed lightbrown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 4 oz box of banana cream jello
• 2/3 cup plain yogurt
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional - I didn't add them)
• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tbsp vanilla extract
• 4 oz box of banana cream jello - make according to the box instructions & let it set
• 1 cup of Frosting (whipping cream)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, jello and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with yogurt, mixing on low speed just until moistened. Gently fold in chopped walnuts.
2. Fill the liners 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
3. In a chilled metal mixing bowl whip the 2 cups of whipping cream, sugar & extract til peaks are formed.
4. In another bowl make the other box of jello and let it set. After it is set, take one cup of banana cream jello & 1 cup of your frosting (whipping cream) and mix together for a creamy banana filling.
5. After your cupcakes have cooled, make a hole for the filling. Fill each with filling. Pipe frosting (whip cream) on top and garnish with a banana slice or crumbled graham crackers.