September 19, 2010
Veryberry Cakes: Cupcake Challenge Recipe #1
-I didn't want to risk samonella poisoning & didn't have a
farm fresh egg so I rinsed my berries and rolled them
-omitted the nuts & baked for 18 minutes instead of 35.
-I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract
Dried Berry Buttercake
1 stick of butter, unsalted, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup dried mixed berries
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup milk
4 ounces fresh blueberries
4 ounces fresh raspberries
1 egg white, beaten lightly
3 tablespooons vanilla sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 tbsp butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Prepare sugared fruit by brushing each berry lightly with egg white; roll fruit in sugar. Place berries on parchment paper-lined tray. Leave about 1 hour or until sugar is dry. (I washed my berries and rolled it in sugar)
2. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 6 hole oversized (Texas) or 12 hole standard muffin pan with paper baking cups.
3. Beat butter, vanilla, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until light & fluffy. Stir in fruit and nuts, then sifted flours and milk. Divide mixture among baking cups; smooth surface.
4. Bake large cakes about 45 minutes, small cakes about 35 minutes. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
5. Make cream cheese frosting. Beat butter & cheese in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in sifted powdered sugar.
6. Spread cakes with frosting. Decorate with sugared fruit.
Me : Sweet, good flavor. Next time no sugar on the fruit
Husband: Good.. "Can I have another?"
Others : Love the frosting, cake is ok
next up..... Recipe #2.... Pear Butterfly Cupcakes