Thanks girls for a fabulous afternoon!
• 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix
• 3 egg whites
• 1/3 cup oil
• 1-1/4 cups ready-made Cosmo drink mixer (I used Stirrings from Cost Plus)
• 2 tbsp lime zest
Directions: Make cupcakes according to box directions, swapping out 1-1/4 cups Cosmopolitan drink mix for the 1-1/4 cups water called for on the box.
COSMO BUTTERCREAM: adapted from my Margarita Buttercream
(will frost 3 dozen cupcakes with a spatula or 18 piping)
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 2 Tbsp Cosmo drink mixer
• 2 Tbsp vodka
• 1 tsp lime zest (I omitted this)
• 5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
• Red or pink gel icing colors (a little red gel will make hot pink)
Sprinkles or decorations
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add in 2 cups confectioners' sugar. Add in the cosmo mix, vodka and 4 tablespoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, lime zest and the food coloring until smooth and creamy. Beat in the remaining 3 cups confectioners' sugar one-third at a time, until just soft enough to spread.
Spread or pipe icing onto each (completely cooled) cupcake. Garnish with sprinkles.