Culinary Adventures of a New Wife: Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Muffins with a recipe for Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Muffins. Two of my favorite flavors...Blueberries & Lemon, how could I resist? They are very moist & have great flavor.
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Muffins
Adapted from Baking with Dorie and Recipe Girl
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
½ stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
zest from 1 lime (medium to large size)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1½ Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 heaping cup of fresh blueberries
coarse sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Add sugar and zest to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, rub zest with sugar until sugar is moist and fragrant.
4. Using an electric mixer, add butter to sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in applesauce, ricotta, then egg, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Carefully fold in blueberries.
5. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
6. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
7. Place on wire rack to cool."